Implant Dentures – Studio City, CA
Permanent Prosthetics for a Lifetime
Implant dentures in Studio City are far superior to other traditional tooth replacements. Dentures can replicate the look of a complete smile but offer little stability and require frequent replacement every 5-10 years. Needless to say, there’s more than one reason so many people are making the switch to dental implants. At Studio City Dental Arts, our team is here to provide you with permanent prosthetics designed to ensure greater functionality, improved confidence, greater oral health, and a better quality of life. If you’re ready to learn more about implant dentures, contact us today to schedule an appointment!
What Are Implant Dentures?
Unlike dentures that only sit on top of your gums, implant dentures are affixed to your jawbone. Instead of relying on your natural suction to hold them in place, the titanium posts used for implant dentures are surgically placed into the jawbone, creating a firm foundation. After several months, the bone and implants will fuse and create a safe and reliable base for your customized denture.
When meeting with your implant dentist in Studio City, you can expect to not only learn more about the process of receiving implant dentures but also the type of prosthetic you will receive:
Fixed/Permanent Implant Dentures
If you have greater jawbone density, you may prefer a fixed or permanent denture. Considered a hybrid prosthesis, it is held into place using between 4 and 8 dental implants and cannot be removed by anyone other than a skilled dental expert. However, you can easily clean and maintain your new teeth the same way you do your natural, healthy ones.
Removable Implant Dentures
Known as a “Snap-On Denture,” this style of denture is most commonly recommended for individuals with less jawbone density. Requiring only between 2-5 dental implants, it can be easily removed in the evenings to allow for proper cleaning and is held in place using a bar- or ball-retained device.
The Implant Denture Process
The process of receiving implant dentures is quick and straightforward. Yes, it does take more time than if you were to receive a denture or dental bridge, but the results are well worth the time spent recovering. At Studio City Dental Arts, Dr. Shahrestany works with outside specialists to perform the surgical portion of your treatment; however, she ensures your results will look and feel the very best.
When receiving dental implants in Studio City, you can expect to go through the following process:
- Schedule a consultation with Dr. Shahrestany to discuss whether you need preliminary treatment or are free to move forward with dental implant surgery.
- Undergo the surgical part of the process with an outside specialist. They will administer local anesthesia before making a few small incisions in the gums and placing each dental implant.
- Return home to recover for 3-6 months, allowing osseointegration to occur. The bone must adequately fuse with the implant post.
- Return to receive your metal abutments once you are fully healed.
- Receive your customized implant denture that will be secured over the top of your dental implants.
Am I a Candidate for Implant Dentures?
There are three factors we will consider when discussing your eligibility for implant dentures. These include:
- The amount of jawbone that is dense enough to support a fixed denture. If it’s less than what is desired, you may need a bone graft or to have a removable denture put into place.
- Your oral health and whether you need preliminary treatments like periodontal therapy or even a tooth extraction to justify the reasons for implant dentures.
- Your overall health and if you’re healthy enough to undergo minor oral surgery.
You might feel as if there’s no way you’ll ever be eligible to receive this type of treatment; however, it is best to schedule a consultation and let our team evaluate you.
Benefits of Combining Dentures & Dental Implants
It was unfathomable to think that dentures could be incorporated with any other unique tooth replacement solution, but it’s working quite well. When receiving your implant dentures, you can expect the following benefits:
- Greater self-confidence in your appearance and ability to perform normal daily tasks
- Improved functionality when eating and speaking by yourself or among others
- A stronger and denser jawbone because of the continuous stimulation provided by your dental implants
- A lowered risk for the development of systemic issues often caused by tooth loss (i.e., diabetes, heart disease, osteoporosis)